playful

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Book Review

These are a few books that might be worth reading. They have been helpful to some, and they might be helpful for you. I'll be reading and reviewing some books from time to time, and I'll post what I think about them and a brief synopsis.

The 90 Minute Baby Sleep Program - NAPS:


-Basically, the entire idea is that babies are on a 90 minute awake cycle and then need to nap. If you follow this cycle, your baby should go down for naps easily. I can say that I read the book and I think the author might have some interesting points as far as sleep science. When she starts giving advice on breastfeeding and other parenting topics, I kinda lost interest because A) she isn't a certified lactation consultant, so she shouldn't be giving breastfeeding advice B) she states that co-sleeping (which I assume she is meaning c0-bedding) is unsafe without any authority or research to back that up and basically finger wags which I really don't appreciate coming from an ignorant point-of-view and C) she isn't a "parenting expert" so I think she should just stick to her main subject of expertise, which is sleep. I don't think I'd recommend this book to anyone. The synopsis is pretty much all you need. ;)

Here it is:
Baby's need sleep. They need to sleep often. They need help falling asleep. You can do things to help them go to sleep by creating a restful environment. Don't underestimate the benefits of a well-rested child. They are happier and learn better when rested. This makes Mommies happier, too. The end. If you want more factoids (and I am that kinda person, so I understand) then by all means, by the book. Just don't pay full price. It really is worth it to just get a used copy. Borders.com sells used copies, and you can also look at half price books, too.

The next books I plan on reading are: "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp and "The Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg


No comments:

Post a Comment