playful

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Teething Product Review

Since Colin is in the midst of teething, I've tried quite a few teething toys to ease his pain. These are a few that I like, and a few that have been recommended to me.

Sassy Cuddle Dolls:
What we like about this toy:
- The hands are made from wood and are very smoothe & Colin enjoys chewing/sucking on them
- Colorful design keeps him interested
- Soft cuddly body is safe for when Colin starts shaking it around
- BPA, Phthalate & PVC free

Sassy Butterfly Teether:

Why we love this toy:
- Medium soft/hard plastic for teething
- Bumpy texture for interest
- Can be chilled for soothing sore gums
- Easy for babies 5 months+ to hold onto (slightly on the heavy side for its size)
- BPA, Phthalate & PVC free
- Pretty inexpensive: $4.99 on Amazon, Walmart also carries it

Infantino Ring-A-Links:
Why Colin likes these:
- Simple design, easy for little babies to hold
- Textured for interest
- Hard, but some have a soft rubbery texture, too
- Easy to take anywhere and attach to almost anything to keep them from falling on the ground
- BPA, Phthalate & PVC free
- Very cheap: $2.99-$3.99 at Target/Walmart/BRU/Etc.

Infantino Water-filled Teether:What I like about it:
- Simple and sometimes simple just works so well ;)
- You can put in the fridge to make it cold and its got a very slight texture
- Easy enough for little babies to handle it
- Colin uses this almost daily

Bright Starts Snuggle & Teethe:

Colin likes it sometimes...
- It is soft and makes a crinkle noise when touched
- The feet are a somewhat hard somewhat soft plastic, for teething (Colin doesn't really teethe on them... occasionally he will put them in his mouth but not all that often.)
- Walmart has them for $6 and I think Target is about the same price - maybe a little cheaper.

Fisher Price Monkey Teether:

This one just gets an "Eh..." from Colin:
- Its hard and there is nothing soft on it - not very hospitable for those sore gums
- More of a rattle toy, which he likes for a few seconds at a time
- To be honest, we hardle use it and I'm not even sure where it is at the moment....
- Cheap: $2.99 at Walmart
- BPA, Phthalate & PVC free

One of my absolute FAVORITES:

Nuby Soft Silicone Soother Stage OneAll I could find online was a lame picture of the case... HERE is a link to Walmart's site with a picture of the actual teething toy.

Why Colin (and I) love it:
- It 100% silicone so it is super soft and easy to clean
- It has little massaging nubs/teeth that Colin loves to chew on
- BPA, Phthalate & PVC free
- Comes with a handy plastic case to keep the teether clean while in your bag (since its made of silicone it is a magnet for lint/hair so I appreciate the "sanitary case", as they call it ;)
- Cheap! $3.99 at Walmart

FYI: This teether comes in stages. This one is the stage one, but there are two more stages for the progression of teething depending on which teeth are emerging. Very cool. I think we will eventually get the other two, as well.



Nuby Jiggle & Giggle Vibrating Teether:

Why I like it:
- easy for little hands to hold
- can be chilled in the fridge for comfort teething
- soft silicone side that vibrates when pressed
- very easy for little ones to figure out - within seconds of handing it to Colin, he figured out how to make it vibrate on his gums and held it there for a long time.
- replaceable batteries! It takes one AAA battery, and it includes a battery when you buy it so baby can use it immediately (which is what we needed that morning! lol)
- The product claims to decrease swelling and discomfort associate with teething and from the way Colin loves it & plays with it all the time, I'd have to agree. :)
- BPA, Phthalate & PVC free!

Where you can find it:
Walmart has it the cheapest that I have seen - online it advertises $6.88 but I think I paid $4.99.
Amazon offers it through Kohls but it's $10.

Similar products:
Walmart also sells a Nuby Alligator, Cow and Elephant in the same series with the butterfly. They are each a little different. The Alligator vibrates but doesn't have the cool gel (that I can see).


A friend of mine recommended this option & her baby loves it:

Infantino Vibrating Teether (Strawberry or Grapes)Why I like the Nuby brand a little more:
- Nuby is Cheaper. What can I say? This teether is not that much more, though. I think I've seen it as low as $7-8 at Walmart/Target. BRU & BuyBuy Baby also carry it. Amazon has it for *gulp* $14, but I'd look elsewhere. ;)
- Heavier than the Nuby vibrating teether.
- Can't replace the batteries so if your baby likes it enough to run the batteries out, you would have to buy a whole new one.

RazBaby Razberry Teether:
My friend recommended this one so I'm just going off what she told me:

- Made of 100% medical grade silicone, so its soft and you can put it in the fridge to make it cold
- Similar to a pacifier so its easy for young babies to use and figure out
- Interesting texture for baby to gum
- Walmart has a 2-pack for $6. Amazon sells the 2-pack for $8.80.
- BPA, Phthalate & PVC free!

Something to consider:
When I was reading reviews on Amazon, one caught my attention (you can read it HERE). A mom claimed that her 5.5 month old was able to get the Razberry teether in his mouth sideways and began choking. She claims this is because the teether is made of soft silicone and therefore pliable. I am not an alarmist, and my gut tells me she might be over reacting on the choking part, but I thought I should share just to be on the safe side. I think its always prudent to keep a close eye on little ones, no matter what they are playing with.

Another teething toy Colin really enjoys is the Nuby Bug-A-Loop:
Why I like it:

- Like nearly every product I've seen that Nuby makes, it is BPA, PVC and Phthalate free.
- Soft rubbery beads for soothing sore gums
- Easy for little babies (4-5 months) to hold and bring to their mouth
- Relatively inexpensive: $6.42 on Amazon

Another recommendation from a friend - Sassy Beginning Bites Teether:


What she likes about them:

- Easy for little ones to hold and play with
- Soft rubbery toy to chew
- Can be placed in the fridge for a cool teething soother
- Pretty inexpensive: Walmart sells it in a 4-pack with some other rattle toys for $14.98. BRU has the 2-pack for $4.99.

Something to consider:

- Sassy infant toys are all BPA free and Phthalate free if made after 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment