playful

Sunday, June 17, 2012

When, oh When to Potty Train???

My little guy is now 18 months old and I have been considering potty training but was hesitant for many reasons...

I, myself, was potty trained at 18 months old (per my mother).  I used to think that was normal until I started hearing so much talk among parents about struggling with 2, 3 and even 4 year olds to potty train! I began to question whether 18 months was really doable or if I was some wonder child that potty trained way before my time. 

Just a few days ago, my husband and I were discussing how incredibly fast Colin picks up on new things and new words.  It seems that he is able to comprehend much of what we are saying to him, even though he can't verbalize the same. 

Then a friend of mine said she was going to start potty training with her little girl who is just a few weeks older than Colin.  That got the wheels turning in my head and I thought, "I wonder if this really is possible and maybe even a really good idea because they are young enough to understand and catch on but not so old to be stubborn and refuse to use the potty, completely...."  Hmm....

So, I am excited to say that we have started the process of learning to use the potty!!!

I am planning on basically spending 3 days with Colin running free (and naked) and taking every opportunity to practice using the potty.  After day 3, we will continue but perhaps add some shorts and if that goes well, we will eventually add some training pants or undies.  I am very excited and have no doubt that Colin is capable of learning.  I just hope I can keep up with his abilities!! 

Here is a link that I found interesting and helpful in this endeavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment