playful

Monday, March 21, 2011

Choosing the Right Stroller for You & Your Baby

I've had several people ask me about my stroller, why I picked it and what they should look for in a stroller. I've also heard a lot of moms complain about their strollers and talk about things they wish it did/didn't have. So, I thought I'd just type up a list of things I had in mind when shopping for a stroller. Feel free to add comments to the post about which stroller you have, why you like it and what you were wanting from your stroller. Hopefully it will save someone the hassle of getting a stroller they don't like or having to return strollers over and over.

When I was looking for a stroller, I knew I wanted to invest a little into a good one, but not spend a fortune. After all, I would like to send my kid to college one day! ;) So, I made a list, read lots of reviews and changed my list a few times. This is what I ended up with:

First and foremost, I wanted an umbrella-style stroller because I wanted something small, compact and light. I just knew I wouldn't use a stroller, no matter how awesome it was, if it was huge and heavy. So, be honest with yourself about your needs/wants and what is realistic for your lifestyle and family situation.

1. Umbrella-Style, small/compact/light-weight.

2. Easily folds up - preferably with one hand.



3. Easy steering, also preferably with one hand.

4. 5-point harness, necessary for infants as well as squirmy toddlers. ;)


5. Can be used from birth to 40 lbs. I didn't buy an "all-in-one" stroller/car seat combo so I needed something that I could use instead of the car seat, which was getting way too heavy to lug around. Not all strollers can be used from birth. In fact, most have a standard 6 month age requirement before use, just FYI.

6. Multiple reclining positions, especially that it would lay flat or nearly flat, so baby can nap easily/comfortably. Most umbrella strollers do not recline, or if they do, they do not lay flat.


7. Good size sun shade to protect baby and I wanted a "peek-a-boo" window so I could see baby from above while pushing the stroller. My stroller's shade has a zipper that attaches it to the back of the seat, but if you want it to move further over baby to cover them from the sun, you can unzip it. You can even remove it all together, if you want. I liked that.


Sun shade adjusts to multiple positions once unzipped from the seat:


Peek-A-Boo window:



8. Light-weight so that I could easily carry it, if needed.

9. Affordable. Now, that may mean something different to you than it does for me, but I was looking for something under $150. Mine ended up costing $105 with a coupon/sale. I did have a few other options in mind that were similar and cost around $60-90. I'll list those below.

10. Well padded seat for baby's comfort. I had heard some moms complain that their strollers were not well padded and seemed uncomfortable for their baby. This one seemed pretty well padded and comfy.


11. Front wheels lock in straight position. Some people like this for jogging. I don't really use my stroller for jogging but I do like that the front wheels lock into a straight position, so they won't swivel when I'm "rocking him" in his stroller while he is napping. I can push it back and forth without the jerky movement that would happen if the front wheels were swiveling. Those that have strollers know what I'm talking about. :)


12. Wind/Rain guard. In the manual for the stroller, they call this a safety feature to keep the child from sliding out of the seat... but wouldn't that be what the harness is for??? Anyway, I think it would work great for keeping the sun/wind/rain off of baby's legs. And its built in so you don't have to remember to bring it. Its not something I specifically looked for, but I'll take it as a bonus. :)


13. A cup holder/place to stash a cell phone/keys/etc... This stroller does have a cup holder (see pictures above) but the design makes it so that a cell phone or keys would/could fall out. That's a little bit annoying. It isn't the worst problem to have, though. I just keep my stuff in the diaper bag or the folded crease of the sun shade.

14. Sturdy. Sturdy. Sturdy. I like that it is light but I wanted something that would feel "solid" and would last with a toddler. I think this fits the bill.

Here is a video of the set-up process:



More info on the Chicco Liteway Noce HERE.

So, here are a few of the strollers that made my final list, but ultimately I did not choose. I like each of them for different reasons.

Chicco Capri - This stroller is basically the less expensive version of the Chicco Liteway. It doesn't have all the "bells & whistles" but it gets great reviews. A lot of parents use it as a secondary lighter stroller to take on trips, etc. It reclines, but not flat and you have to unzip a zipper to make it recline, which I thought was kinda a hassle. The basket below is nice, but small. It has a 5 point harness and is light and has a nice sun shade. Cost is about $80. More info HERE.

The First Year Ignite - This stroller is very popular and receives great reviews. It is light weight and compact. It has a 5 point harness and a small basket underneath. I like the parent tray/storage by the handles - nice for keys, etc. It is less expensive and most people that reviewed it said they use it as a secondary stroller. Its about $60. I didn't really like the small sun shade and while it does recline it doesn't recline flat. More info HERE.


Contours Options Cinnamon - this stroller gets good reviews, I like that you can face the child either forward or backward and that it has a cup holder for the child. This stroller does recline and one reviewer said it goes nearly flat. I also liked the large basket, parent tray up top and that it can adapt to hold an infant car seat. Very cool. I also like that there is only one wheel in the front - this makes turning very easy. The downsides are that it is kinda bulky (more so than an umbrella stroller) and people who own it say it is heavy. Its about $125. More info HERE.



I hope this helps someone. I know I was SO overwhelmed when I started looking for strollers. Good luck & happy shopping!

3 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful and comprehensive. I'm putting a link to it on my Facebook. I wish I had had this kind of insight before I bought mine. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got an email telling me that I have been granted a ticket to the Bugaboo Donkey launch! Can you imagine what kind of party they throw for a stroller's debut! They are giving one away, I'll let you know if I win one.

    (This is Lori Beth, I typed this before I realized that my husband was signed in.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you win it!

    I didn't realize you were "brady"! I posted your link. Thanks by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete