playful

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Naptime Difficult?

I have a friend that is very much into attachment parenting and does not use schedules for feeding but she recommended this book to me called "The 90 minute Baby Sleep Program". She was having a hard time getting her 5 month old to take naps during the day - he slept fine at night. I have had a little difficulty with this myself. Colin is pretty good about taking naps but I wasn't sure that I was optimizing his nap time or that he was getting enough nap times during the day. The recommended amount of sleep for a baby at his age (4.5 months) is about 12-14 hours of sleep per 24 hours.

The idea is that you set a timer (or just note the time) when baby wakes up in the morning. You feed, play, change diapers, etc and then when 80 minutes has gone by, you start winding them down. Rock, cuddle, nurse, etc - till baby is asleep. Let baby nap and then when they wake up, whenever that is, start the 90 minutes over.

I've been doing this with Colin (not with perfect accuracy) and it seems to be really working well for us. Just thought I'd pass the idea/book along in case it helps anyone else. :) THIS is the link to Amazon, where you can find the book.

Good luck!

HERE is a great link to Kellymom on the topic of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment