playful

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Marketing Formula

Have you ever stopped to think about why the trend is so high in the developed world (and the developing world is sadly following suit) for babies to be formula fed instead of breastfed? No other mammal feeds its young another mammal's milk. Its kinda odd.

Don't get me wrong. I think formula has its place and I am grateful that it is available for those who truly need it. But why are only 14.2% of US babies exclusively breastfed to 6 months? There are many variables to this equation, but one very big one is marketing. Formula makes money.

I found this article on Pub Med, which focusing on the pervasiveness of formula marketing and I thought it was interesting. It was published through Princeton University.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2443254/

No comments:

Post a Comment