playful

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Breastfeeding Patterns @ 11 weeks

My baby is 11 weeks old today and I've noticed a few changes I thought I'd mention, just in case it is helpful to someone else.

Colin has been exclusively breastfed since birth. He was pretty good at breastfeeding from the beginning, with the occasional painful latch here and there. Nothing major. I mention this only as a preface to the fact that I never really take him off. Colin has always been a pretty efficient eater and will "let go" when he is done. Usually this is after about 10-20 minutes. Once-in-awhile Colin will do what we affectionately call "The Marathon Feed" where he will stay attached and sucking for 30 minutes up to an hour+. That is pretty rare. Maybe a few times a week.

This last week he has been cluster feeding; wanting to eat every hour - hour and a half. I had a few appointments and things I really needed to do and a few times in a two day period I decided to break his latch after he had been eating for about 20+ minutes and wasn't sucking as much. I didn't think much of it and we went about our errands.

Over the next few days since, Colin has become much MUCH more attached. He doesn't eat more frequently that usual but he definitely doesn't want to let go once he has me. I feel like this is due to me taking him off before he was really ready and now he is re-establishing that he will let me know when he is good and ready to be done.

After a few days of this, things seem to be going back to "normal" and we are doing more consistent 10-20 minute feedings, but just in-case you were thinking like I was "oh, I'll just break his latch this time... it won't matter" - just beware. You baby may feel the need to be that much closer and hang onto your breast just in-case it gets taken away prematurely. ;)

Happy Breastfeeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment