playful

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Where to Begin?

I guess I'll start with an explanation about why I started this blog.

My journey to this point started years ago, when I entered Nursing School. I was excited about becoming an RN and enthusiastic about learning. I was fascinated by the human body; it's capabilities and its seemingly miraculous powers. Everything I learned left me in awe and convinced that there was a supreme creator behind it all.

When I began thinking about having a child, I wanted to be as prepared as I could be. My nursing background had taught me to rely on research. I used my medical training to understand and analyze data. I read tons of books, asked questions, read research studies and medical journals. I decided to have a physical (at which time my doctor told me I was too young to be thinking about babies.... I was 24, but that is a whole other story) and had my blood work checked to see if I was deficient in any nutrients. I found that I was so I began taking a few supplements and rechecking my labs until everything looked just right. I got the green light to go ahead a start trying!

Two months later I was pregnant, which was a surprise to both my husband and I because I had been told that I would have a difficult time becoming pregnant due to a congenital birth anomaly. The pregnancy continued normally for some time and I continued to read and learn, tweaking my eating habits and lifestyle along the way.

Around 18 weeks I began to have pain that I assumed was "normal pregnancy discomfort" but later around 24 weeks I was hospitalized for pre-term labor and realized I had reason to be concerned. Just as predicted by previous high risk obstetricians, I was showing signs that my body would not carry my baby to full-term. I was dilated 2 cm and over 75% effaced. I was also contracting regularly (sometimes as often as every 2-3 minutes) and my baby's head was down low and pressed against my cervix.

At this point I began reading about various tests and treatments to prolong pregnancy. My goal was to have a full-term baby but knew that with intervention there is always risk so I wanted to know what all my options were. My husband and I carefully decided on certain treatments and we stayed actively involved in all medical decisions.

It was also my goal to breastfeed my baby exclusively from birth. I read what I could find on breastfeeding premature infants and the success rates. I even had a friend of mine who works as a lactation nurse in the NICU come and teach me what she teaches Mom's of NICU babies. I wanted to avoid this worst-case-scenario but I couldn't ignore the possibility. I went on strict bed rest as recommended by my high risk OB and this gave me even more time to read and study. I really think all my research propelled me in a positive direction and kept my mind off of the negative predictions the doctors were making.

Though I consulted with a high risk OB, I continued seeing my midwife throughout my pregnancy because ultimately I believed in my baby and in my body. I felt very strongly that this was what my body was created to do, and that it would pull through and succeed for my baby. Every time we hit a bump in the road I never lost hope because I knew I wasn't alone and I knew my body was capable of miraculous things. I believe in the power of positive thinking!

Finally, at 36 weeks, my water did break. After 4 hours and 22 minutes, Colin was born vaginally and without any drugs in his little system. I had given birth naturally and it was amazing! Colin stunned the NICU team that had come for his early birth when he began breathing on his own, maintained his body temperature and breastfed like a champ. We couldn't believe how healthy he was! He was a little miracle.

All the babies I had ever seen that were born at 36 weeks had struggled to stay warm, struggled with breastfeeding and even struggled with breathing sometimes. Colin defied the odds and I believe it was because a) I believed he could be born healthy, b) I did not have an epidural or any other medications during labor and c) God watched over us and blessed us.

My personal experience with birth, the many, many experiences I have had as a nurse and the research I have read, have brought me to several conclusions.

I believe that as a whole, Women have become afraid of the labor experience and no longer believe in the natural process that they are capable of. I believe modern medicine, in general, is a great gift and if used appropriately can better and even save lives. Sometimes, however, modern medicine and modern doctors can get in the way of a perfectly natural process and at best causes problems it has to fix and at worst causes major catastrophes.

I also believe that babies are looking to us, as guardians, to protect them and help them grow normally so they can be healthy and happy. We cannot rely on others to "know what is best" or to make decisions for us. I believe we need to educate ourselves as much as we possibly can for the sake of our little ones - they are counting on us! And I believe that Mommies love their babies and want what is best for them but don't always know exactly where to turn for answers and support. We all need a little help sometimes - I know I do! I think we are all searching for answers and hoping to do what is right and best for our babies. Remember, though, that YOU are the expert on YOUR BABY. Everything that I include on this website is meant to be helpful suggestions and information for you to look at and decide if it is right for you and your baby. What works for one, doesn't work for all. I am not a fan of "blanket" treatments for all babies.

I believe in evidence based medicine and I strive to find and provide information that is acknowledged and accepted by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization (WHO) and other reputable sources. I hope this website can help Mommies feel empowered and allow them to nurture and love their babies so they can be happy and healthy. After all, isn't that the ultimate goal? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment