playful

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tandem Nursing - Is it for you?

My little one is now 6 months (tomorrow!) and boy have things been busy around here! There isn't as much time to be on the computer as I once had (when he was a sleepy newborn...) but its really fun having an active and interactive baby to play with all the time, too! I'll try to post more often, as I get my time more organized. ;)

I've been thinking a lot about having a second (I know, crazy... my little one is ONLY 6 months!) and I've been trying to decide what I would do as far as breastfeeding. To tandem nurse, or not to tandem nurse... that is my question.

I have been reading some great stuff on Kellymom.com and I thought I'd share in case you were thinking about the same things. Hope it helps you, too!

Thoughts from Kellymom.com:
http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/articles/tandempregnancytips.html

An excerpt from a book called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing": http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/excerpts/TN_ch.011.pdf

Tandem nursing may not be for every mom, but some moms may really enjoy it. Plus, if you are faced with the idea of having to wean because of pregnancy or a new baby when your current little one is not yet 2 yrs, this might be a viable option to continue nursing. The American Academy of Family Physicians asserts that breastfeeding during a healthy pregnancy is a personal decision for the mother--indeed, that weaning before two years of age can increase a child's risk of illness. (Another option, if breastfeeding while pregnant, or tandem feeding doesn't work for you, is to have some pumped milk frozen that you can give your little one till they are two. Even 3-4 oz a day would give their immune system a boost as they head into the toddler years, not to mention a nutritional boost - the perfect natural supplement!)


No comments:

Post a Comment